Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Who Needs A Cricut? The Art of Paper Cutting.

This happens to me quite often. I get an idea for something and run with it.  It all started when I decided to pick up Anya's scrapbook and work on it.  I went out and bought some of those adorable stickers to adorn it with.  I spent 13 some dollars on paper cutout stickers and that was after the 40% off each one.  So, I went on my merry way home and started to look at them and think....I could make these.  Then I started to think of the Cricut machine.  Wishing I had one, but they cost like 300.00!  Then I got to thinking more.."How are these things made??"  How would I make these?  Then it hit me.  "You're an artist, dummy.  Draw it out and cut it out with an X-Acto knife"!  I just had to relearn positive and negative space.  It didn't take me too long to figure it out.  I drew out a haunted house and cut it out with what I had.  A matt cutter.  Let me tell you, it came out okay for my first attempt, but not nearly as well as an X-Acto knife would have done.  My blade got dull halfway which started to tear the paper. Not good.  So I started doing some research and started to really fall in love with the art form.  I found this artist on Etsy who does some of my favorite work so far.  Check him out here  http://www.etsy.com/shop/reevpapercuts?ref=seller_info

Leave it to me to find the most intricate work available.  That's just how I am, go big or go home.  In college I was always picking the hardest thing to draw or paint.  How can I grow if I don't challenge myself? I'm drawing out a picture of Alice in Wonderland to cut out.  It's turning out awesome, so I was up all last night tossing and turning because ideas were running through my head like a marathon runner. The possibilities are endless and the creativity is just flowing. I can't wait to get my hands on an X-Acto knife!

"What about your painting?"  you may be asking.  Yes, this happens. When you get tired of looking at a painting and get tired of painting rocks, sometimes it's good to walk away and clear your mind with another project. At least for me it is.  Plus, we are moving here soon and I don't want to move a wet canvas! Do you know how long it takes for oil paint to completely dry??  Up to a month or longer!! So I will get back to it eventually, but for now, I'm all about paper cutting!!  Below are some wonderful examples!  Below is the seller I referenced to above. His name is Rene, and he lives in Germany and by far my favorite cutting artist. I love the detail and the stories they tell. It keeps you looking at it for long periods of time because there's just so much going on. Enjoy the work I have posted and go visit his shop! 

1 comment:

  1. His work is amazing!
    A sharp knife can make all the difference in the world!
    Have fun cutting :)

    ReplyDelete